Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Celebrating Lent

This will be the first year that I can remember where I will officially not be celebrating Lent.  And it's tough, because this season of the church year has always been one of my favorites.  The Lenton season has always brought new life and meaning, as well as, helped me to grow as a christian.  But after our meeting last May with the deacon, I am sad to say, I am still homeless.

One thing I have learned is that "religion" is not perfect, but my God is.  And though I haven't found my home yet, I've met some pretty incredible and faithful people that God has brought into my life.  We've attended a local church and I found a mommy's group filled with God's love flowing threw so many encouraging women.

So this year, I'll be celebrating Lent a little bit differently, not with the church, but still in my heart.  Last year, my Lenton promise was to worry less and pray more.  I also made this a part of my New Year's Resolution this year.  I want to expand on this a little more.  I'm going to take time to pray, and I mean, really pray, for someone or a group of people who are in need prayers, each day of Lent.  My goal is to share with you each of the 40 days, but I know it may not be possible with a toddler and life circumstances.  I may have to get creative as of when and where I'll be praying.

Though I pray often and throughout the day, I'm often praying for myself.  So I really want to be focused on praying for others.  I know I'm not anyone special, but if you would like me to pray for you or someone you know, please feel free to leave a comment or email me.  I would be more than happy to pray for you.  And I hope my readers will join me in prayer too.

For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." Matthew 18:20



1 comment:

  1. I love this! My grandmother always used to tell me that celebrating Lent was about sacrificing to bring glory to God. Not ourselves. So many people give up material items and recieve attention to themselves for their acts but that does not show Gods glory and ways. You totally have the right idea.

    I don't normally share other blogs in peoples comments, but I really appreacited this post by one of my favorite Christian bloggers, Rachel Evans. I thought you might like it. http://rachelheldevans.com/40-ideas-for-lent-2012

    ReplyDelete